Best-selling author to visit SFU

Saint Francis will welcome international best-selling author Jennifer Teege to campus next Thursday, April 6.

Teege will read from her newest book, My Grandfather Would Have Shot Me: A Black Woman Discovers her Family’s Nazi Past. The event will be held at 7 p.m. at a location on campus to be announced.

Teege’s grandfather, Amon Goth, was a Nazi concentration camp commandant. Teege discovered this while reading a book in a library. She then began to put the pieces together about her family’s past.

Saint Francis discovered Teege’s book through a women’s studies program taught English professor Robin Cadwallader last year. Backed by support from her department, Cadwallader was able to organize next week’s reading.

“The reason she suggested Teege is to promote women’s narratives, or literature written by women, which is very important given our gender politics today,” said Roxana Cazan, an assistant professor of literature and languages. Cazan said that she and her colleagues are very excited to have the author on campus.

Many SFU students have read Teege’s book about her Nazi grandfather, who was known as the “butcher of Plaszow.”

Sophomore Madison Johnson said she enjoyed the book and that she is very excited to meet the author.