SFU Marches Against Abortion

People of all ages marched around the Saint Francis campus mall on Jan. 27 in the fourth annual March on the Mountain.

The march is an annual demonstration in support of pro-life beliefs.

More than 100 SFU students, faculty members, community members and high school students held up pro-life signs while circling around campus.

Prior to the march, Paul Girardi, SFU’s Associate Director of Campus Ministry, led a recitation of the rosary in the Immaculate Conception Chapel. There was also a Mass following the march.

Each year, the March on the Mountain at Saint Francis coincides with the March for Life in Washington, D.C.

The event started four years ago when SFU’s bus trip to Washington, D.C., was cancelled because of bad weather. Students suggested that they hold a march on SFU’s campus. The tradition has continued ever since.

For most students, traveling to Washington, D.C., is very difficult because of their course responsibilities. The March on the Mountain gives students an opportunity to stand up for their beliefs without traveling to the nation’s capital.

“There were a lot of students and people in the community who can’t make it down to Washington, D.C., because of school, because of work, because of their health,” said Girardi.

“This is an opportunity for students and everybody else to give witness to the sanctity of human life, from conception until natural death.”

The first March on the Mountain brought in about 35 people and the next drew roughly 75. Each year, the event grows, bringing in new people. This year, state Rep. Judy Ward participated.

Girardi said that March on the Mountain is in unity with SFU’s Catholic Franciscan identity, but that one does not have to be Catholic to participate.

“I think it’s good that Saint Francis offers us (the opportunity) to do something about our beliefs. They allow us to act on them,” said freshman Erica Caporaletti.

“Since it is hard for us to get to D.C. and it is farther away, they still give us the opportunity to stand up for what we believe in.”

The cold, snowy weather may have had an impact on the number of people who came to march. However, Girardi still believes that our campus can make a difference.

“We can’t always lead large rallies and do big things, but we can do small things that witness to love and charity and to the sanctity and value of human life.”