Norovirus Hits Campus Hard

Just days before students at Saint Francis University (SFU) left campus for Spring Break, an aggressive virus infected a number of students.

After waiting a week for test results to come back, it was confirmed that the Norovirus had hit the University.

Students who contracted the virus suffered symptoms similar to severe food poisoning.

These symptoms include fever, vomiting, nausea and diarrhea. They develop over 12 to 48 hours, and those infected do not start to feel better until one to three days have passed.

SFU’s Student Health Center knew there was a problem when 20 cases—all coming from the Amici Residence Hall—surfaced on the same day. Precautions were immediately taken. Those infected were isolated until they were symptom-free for 24 hours.

After the students were symptom-free, physical plant staff members disinfected the dorm with a special agent to kill the virus.

“Once we saw the number of cases indicating this was much more than the typical winter illnesses, my first call was to Assistant Director of Student Health Karen McCabe,” said SFU’s Director of Residence Life, Don Miles.

“We then followed all the protocol from the Pennsylvania Department of Health in the residence halls.”

Altoona TV station WTAJ was contacted by a student concerned about the virus.

“I feel as if the school should do a better job with sanitation,” said Andre Wilson, a student who lives in Amici. “They did not take proper precautions; otherwise the hall wouldn’t have gotten hit so hard.”

McCabe stressed that students need to contact her as soon as they experience symptoms. If students put off going to the health center, the virus spreads.

“If we were not on break, we would have shut down,” said McCabe.

Miles noted the significant challenge that the virus, which is also known as the “winter vomiting bug,” presented.

“Illnesses like this are very difficult to predict and prevent in a community setting such as a university,” he said. “Each resident can have a tremendous effect on controlling the spread by following the guidelines given to them by administration.”

The last time SFU experienced a virus this bad was about five years ago when the H1N1 virus broke out.