American Sign Language Students Headed to Jamaica

“The kids are always the best part,” said sophomore, strategic communications major Shelby Bowen. “They have such a simple outlook on life and they make it all worthwhile.”

Bowen is one of 14 students who will be participating in an immersion trip to Jamaica during SFU’s Spring Break Week. She will join other American Sign Language minors who will visit the Jamaican Christian School for the Deaf in Montego Bay.

The group headed to Jamaica includes faculty members Gale DeArmin and Debra Hast and students Melissa Bauer, Carissa Blair, Abigale Bowen, Shelby Bowen, Kale Dively, Brianna Guy, Jordan Henderson, Ashley King, Katie Mihelcic, Amarisa Miles, Amber Mullins, Rebekah Pinkowski, Amber Radel and Brittany Reinhart.

The group will spend the week assisting teachers at the school with lessons and activities, including teaching sign language.

Bowen said her connection to deaf culture for the majority of her life and her interest in joining the Peace Corps motivated her to make the trip to Jamaica.

DeArmin, an assistant professor of American Sign Language at Saint Francis University, has traveled with students on immersion trips in previous years.  This is the second time she will accompany a group of students to Jamaica.

She believes the students will have the opportunity to gain a stronger understanding of Franciscan values. “This trip will allow students to embrace deaf culture and every aspect of what is taught in the ASL program,” said DeArmin.

The students will depart on a ship bound for Jamaica on Feb. 28 and will return to SFU on March 5.