ROTC Opportunities for Students

ROTC Opportunities for Students

Military opportunities have been increasing on campus and this has translated into more students with military interests or backgrounds. There are currently more than 50 active military members and veterans taking classes at the University.

Since the beginning of 2009, Saint Francis has partnered with Indiana University of Pennsylvania to provide students opportunities in a Reserved Officer Training Core program (ROTC).

The program is set up for SFU students to take classes once to twice a week at IUP in order to successfully complete the ROTC curriculum. If they do, they earn a minor in Military Science.

According to Adam Bolton, involvement in ROTC requires dedication, patience, organization and discipline. Bolton serves as the Veterans and Military Affairs graduate assistant for the University’s Center for Academic Success and First-Year Experience.

“I’m an advocate to these students,” said Bolton. “I help students in the ROTC program stay organized and on top of things.”

According to Bolton, staying organized is very important for these students.

“I try to stay very involved with them,” said Bolton. “By helping schedule classes for the upcoming semester or even checking up on them day to day.”

Bolton warned that if you just want to go through the motions, the ROTC program is not for you.

“Just because you have a uniform on doesn’t mean you automatically bring something to the table,” he said. “You have to be physically and mentally ready to take on the challenge to wear that uniform proudly.”