Tips for Less Stressful Scheduling Experience

Thanksgiving break is only a couple of weeks away and for SFU students, that means studying, elections for organizations and scheduling for the spring semester.

Students often become stressed trying to figure out which professors to take or how much work they can handle.

“Scheduling is stressful for everyone, across the board,” said sophomore international studies major Ana Medina.

“I think the most stressful part is classes filling up.”

Scheduling classes can be time-consuming and stressful, but if students follow the tips listed below from the University’s registrar, Stephen Rombouts, they will find this task less demanding.

Keys to Success in Scheduling:

1. Read the instructions in the online Schedule of Classes that explain registration policies and registration procedures. Those instructions usually answer any questions about the registration process.
  2. Become familiar with the class listings in the Schedule of Classes prior to meeting with your advisor. This will allow you to develop an alternate schedule if some of the classes you want to take are closed.
  3. Prior to the assigned registration day, log into the registration site, select “Add/Drop Courses” and select “SP 2016.” The screen will display a message informing you if a financial hold is in effect. In that case, you should contact the Business Office (now located in Raymond Hall) to arrange financial clearance for registration. The screen will also display the date and time for your registration, along with advisor clearance status.

Rombouts stressed one last piece of information regarding the day of scheduling.

“Students should not log into the system on their assigned registration day prior to their assigned registration time,” he said.

If students log in too early, they could lock themselves out of the system completely, even after their designated scheduling time passes.

The key to scheduling successfully is to discuss your options with your advisor. Also – if you have questions about specific classes, do not be afraid to approach professors.

Students with questions regarding registration can contact the Registrar’s Office at 814-472-3009.